GALKAYO — The Minister of Defence, Ahmed Moallim Fiqi, accompanied by the Commander of the Somali National Army, Major General Ibrahim Mohamed Mohamud, has conducted a working visit to the 163rd Unit of the 16th Danab Commando Brigade in Galkayo, as part of efforts to assess the readiness and operational capacity of Somali forces in the region.
The visit included an inspection of the unit’s facilities, a review of troop preparedness, and discussions on ongoing operations in the area. Minister Fiqi and the SNA Commander addressed officers and troops, emphasising the importance of continuous readiness, strengthening military coordination, and fulfilling national duties, particularly securing the safety of Somali civilians.
The visit provided an opportunity for senior defence officials to assess the conditions and needs of troops operating in the area. Officers from the 163rd Unit presented their operations and reaffirmed their commitment to carrying out their national responsibilities.
The tour comes at a critical moment for Galkayo, a city divided between Puntland-controlled northern districts and Galmudug-controlled southern areas. President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud arrived in Galkayo on August 17, 2026, marking his first visit to the city in nearly 20 years, as he praised the progress in security and stability while addressing a public gathering. He called for strengthened peace, unity, and community cooperation so that Galkayo can benefit from development opportunities and further consolidate its security and stability.
Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni is also in Galkayo, holding meetings and engaging with the community. President Deni had previously arrived in Galkayo to cement security control after clashes and has held talks with traditional elders from the Mudug region. The presence of both leaders in the divided city adds a layer of political significance to the visit.
Puntland had placed its defence forces on high alert ahead of President Mohamud’s visit to the Galmudug-controlled side of Galkayo, warning against what it described as “former Federal President” plotting to destabilise the city. Puntland had consistently argued that President Mohamud’s term expired on May 15, 2026.
Deadly clashes had erupted in Gaalkacyo earlier in August when Puntland forces attacked PSF positions in eastern Gaalkacyo, with the violence following a weapons shipment that Puntland said the Federal Government had airlifted into the city’s southern sector. Following the attack, Puntland forces seized a second PSF base in Bosaso as tensions between the two administrations escalated.
The presence of Defence Minister Fiqi and the SNA Commander in Galkayo, alongside the visits of both presidents, underscores the strategic importance of the city as a flashpoint in the ongoing federal-state tensions. The Danab Special Forces, which are trained and equipped with support from the United States, have been at the forefront of counter-terrorism operations against Al-Shabaab and are a key component of Somalia’s security transition.
Critical Note
The Defence Minister’s visit to the Danab base in Galkayo highlights the federal government’s determination to project military authority in a city that has become a focal point of federal-state tensions. The presence of both President Mohamud and President Deni in Galkayo at the same time underscores the complex governance arrangements and the deep political divisions that continue to shape life in the city.
While the federal government’s engagement with the Danab forces reflects its commitment to strengthening security, the underlying political crisis between Mogadishu and Garowe remains unresolved. Puntland’s warnings against the President’s visit and its high alert posture highlight the fragility of the situation and the need for genuine dialogue between the federal government and regional administrations. The people of Galkayo, who have endured years of instability, deserve a political settlement that respects the federal framework while addressing legitimate regional concerns.




