FTL Somalia

Puntland Accuses Hassan Sheikh of Remaining in Office Illegally

GAROWE: The Puntland administration has accused President Hassan Sheikh Mohamud of unlawfully remaining in office following the expiration of his four‑year term on May 15, 2026, which it said coincided with the end of the mandates for Somalia’s federal institutions. The accusation came in a communique released after a cabinet meeting in Garowe, presided over by Puntland President Said Abdullahi Deni.

Puntland stated that President Hassan Sheikh’s term concluded on May 15, 2026, while the Federal Parliament’s mandate expired on April 14, 2026. The regional administration maintained that the federal institutions have lost their constitutional legitimacy. According to the statement, Puntland does not recognize Hassan Sheikh as a legitimate president and alleged he continues to exercise presidential powers without legal authorization.

Political Crisis Deepens as Puntland Rejects Federal Authority

The regional administration warned that Somalia has entered a dangerous political phase and called for an urgent national consultative conference with all Somali political stakeholders to establish an inclusive electoral process. Puntland has previously expressed concern that Somalia is experiencing a constitutional vacuum, cautioning that the nation may descend into political fragmentation and security challenges.

Puntland also appealed to the international community and organizations to engage directly with the regional administration until fully legitimate federal institutions are established. Additionally, Puntland condemned intimidation and harassment against opposition politicians and civilians in Mogadishu, calling on Somalis to maintain national unity and preserve state institutions.

The opposition Somali Future Council, which includes Puntland and Jubaland leaders, has warned that if no political consensus on elections is reached, they will move to establish a parallel government, a step that could further fracture Somalia’s fragile federal system. Opposition figures have warned that the president would lose his legal authority after May 15 unless elections are held or a constitutional alternative is agreed upon.

Federal Government Insists Term Extends to 2027

President Mohamud has insisted that his term extends until May 2027 under constitutional amendments passed by parliament in March 2026. The amendments extend both presidential and parliamentary terms from four years to five. The federal government maintains that the extension is a constitutional necessity under the new constitution, while the opposition argues that the country must adhere to the 2012 provisional constitution.

High‑stakes talks between the federal government and the opposition Somali Future Council opened inside the fortified Halane compound just days before the May 15 deadline, with American and British diplomats attempting to mediate. The negotiations ended without a breakthrough, leaving Somalia in a deepening political crisis.

Escalating Confrontation Between Garowe and Mogadishu

Puntland President Deni has vowed to remain in Mogadishu until President Mohamud’s current term concludes, a strategic decision coinciding with the formation of the Somali Future Council. Deni has accused the federal government of attempting to dismantle the nation’s federal framework, warning that policies purportedly backed by allies of President Mohamud threaten to fracture Somalia regionally.

Puntland has instructed regional forces to maintain heightened readiness and prepare for potential military action by Somalia’s federal government, warning against a repeat of the scenario that led to the ousting of South West State leader Abdiasis Laftagareen. Deni accused President Mohamud of attempting to consolidate power and dismantle the federal system that has governed Somalia for more than two decades.

Former President Sharif Sheikh Ahmed has sharply criticised Hassan Sheikh Mohamud, whose four‑year term expired on May 15, accusing him of violating the constitution. Sharif warned that Somalia is entering a dangerous political phase and called for a broad political agreement on elections rather than any attempt to extend the government’s term in office. “Today, when he stands and says he has added another year to his term, I believe he is standing in the very place where his political downfall could begin,” Sharif stated.

Accusations of Federal Destabilization Efforts

Puntland Vice President Ilyas Osman Lugatoor has accused Villa Somalia of utilizing substantial resources to destabilize the region during the final months of the current administration’s term. Speaking at a gathering in Garowe, Lugatoor urged state leadership and citizens to exercise heightened vigilance, stating that President Mohamud was engaged in “destructive activities” during his final days in office.

Authorities in Puntland have explicitly accused President Mohamud of arming clan militias to destabilize and undermine the regional administration, alleging that the federal government purposefully failed to support Puntland’s military campaign against ISIS militants.

As the political standoff intensifies, the Federal Government of Somalia has not immediately responded to Puntland’s latest allegations. The deepening crisis has raised concerns among international partners, who fear prolonged instability could undermine security gains and distract from the fight against Al‑Shabaab.